Most people worry about securing the objects in their closets and office, but what about your garage? Let’s set the tone: It’s a Sunday afternoon and you’re cleaning out your garage, you believe the guy walking down the sidewalk is a neighbor going on a stroll, but really, he’s a burglar who’s eyeing up your tools, workout equipment, and boating gear.
As one of the most vulnerable and lucrative parts of your home, your garage is a prime target for theft. Is it secured as such? Check out these top five security tips to securing your garage and keeping your possessions safe.
Top 5 Tips to Securing Your Garage
- Close the Door: This seems like a no-brainer, but a quick drive through a neighborhood will shed some light on how many homeowners actually close their garage doors. If you’re guilty of leaving your garage door open, consider having an automatic garage door closer that will automatically close the garage door after a certain amount of time.
- Include Some Light: Burglars love the cover of the night. Installing motion-activated floodlights near garage doors and windows will make a thief think twice about attempting a night-time break-in to your home.
- Hide Your Stuff: Not all thieves go in blind. Most scan your home for clues that they’ll hit a good loot before they come. An uncovered window that shows off your goods to the world can be the motivation that a burglar needs to settle on visiting your home. Consider adding interior blinds and curtains (and remember to shut them) to help thwart and unwanted crime.
- Check Landscaping: Burglars love a well-placed bush or tree that provides them cover by your garage. If possible, make sure that the view to your garage is clear to neighbors by clearing away large trees and shrubs, keeping entry points visible to the street. Planting thorny shrubs under garage-door windows can also discourage burglars from breaking in that way, or sneaking a peak to what you have inside!
- Hire a Professional: Securing your home is not something that you want to leave for a do-it-yourself project. Protect your loved ones and your expensive positions by hiring a professional. At R.J. Lock & Security our experts can secure your garage, giving you the peace of mind and safety that you, and your family, deserve.